Thursday, February 17, 2005

Surviving VD

It shouldn't have happened on the day the world celebrates Romance. But it did.

Raging hormones + Immaturity + Cabin fever + Winter blues + High Expectations = A blazing row that nearly scorched the marriage contract.

Root cause was Money. Yup, the root of all evils. The number one reason why couples divorce. It wasn't the lack of it that was the problem but how it was being spent.

Since I started working, I maintain my financial independence. I work hard for my moolah and so I deserve to spend it whatever or whenever I choose. Much as I have investments, I am also a spendthrift who thrives on retail theraphy and living at large. I am always been a gung-ho when it comes to handling finances. To top it off, I never really divulge to my significant other how much I'm making and how I'm spending it.

That's when the problem arises. Hubby is so opposite. He's the frugal type who counts every cent and thinks a hundred times before letting go of his hard-earned money.

So when a big-spender and penny-pincher decide to invest on a dream, a collision occurs. VAVA-BOOM!!! Sparks fly and hell breaks loose.

Fortunately, the conflagration wasn't big enough to do huge damage. Hubby was quickly enough to snuff out any thoughts of our marriage going up in smoke.

An olive branch was offered. A compromise was reached.

We haven't really thresh out the details of our concession yet but at least we are talking sanely and collectively.

Whew!

PS...we're going to Quebec City this weekend to ignite the waning fires of conjugal bliss. wish us luck!