Speaking as a true blue stage mom, I opined that bebe S's language development is above par. At twenty months of age, her ever growing vocabulary consists of english, french and tagalog words. She responds to simple questions in whatever three languages she is spoken to.
I'm quite proud that she's able to distinguish what is tagalog compared to english or french. Until recently, when bebe S learned to cheer Hip Hip Hurrah! the french way. Like in kapampangan dialect, the letter 'h' is silent in french. Hip Hip sounds more like 'Ip, Ip'. So everytime I say 'Hip, Hip', bebe S replies 'Hurrah'. We've perfected this cheer routine in such a short time and with much gusto from my would-be linguist daughter.
One day, we were in the kitchen. I was putting dirty utensils in the dishwasher while bebe S, in her persistent and nosy way, tries to poke her fingers inside. Now this annoyed me a lot because she've been hurt before. Bloody one at that. So out of exasperation and frustration, I yelled to my bebe, 'TIGIL! maIPIT ka!'. Without missing a beat and with her arms raised up like a cheerleader, bebe S yelled back 'HURRAH!'.