Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Fat free, eh?

With media constantly bombarding us with the danger of trans fat, hydrogenated oil, sugar, carbo-overload, GMO....etc. , I've learned to read labels and as much as possible avoid those aforementioned health hazards. As self-proclaimed family nutritionist, I try to do my best to give my family a healthy balanced diet.

In our world of supersize grocery malls, a mere trip can take almost two hours because of my habit of scrutinizing each label before I put it in the grocery cart.
Aside from this, I enthusiastically took the task of educating my hubby on the hidden perils of processed food, pointing to all food items that are bad for the health as we go along aisle by aisle.

I never thought how exasperating that habit can be to my husband (who has the duty to push the grocery cart and entertain our oftentimes restless baby at the same time) until in our recent grocery shopping. I was taking my sweet time selecting butter among the array of choices available, he tongue-in-cheek said 'Make sure, it's fat-free, Honey.'